Monday, September 1, 2014

Into The West

    This summer has been very eventful for me. I presented with my boss, Dr. Craig Kubic, and reference librarian, Judy Howie, at the MOBIUS conference on our personal librarian and research coach programs. I also got to present the same research with Dr. K at the Association of Christian Librarians Conference. I also presented my research and findings on posting for the Spurgeon Library Twitter account at the Association of Christian Librarians and the American Theological Librarians Association. These were amazing opportunities to connect with people and share ideas.

Mobius Program Picture by Robert Burgess




     I also got a new job. Dr. Kubic got a job as Dean of Libraries at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. He brought me down with him to be the Digital Resources Librarian at SWBTS. SWBTS is one of the largest seminaries in the world. This is a wonderful opportunity for me to grow professionally and learn more skills. I have been working at SWBTS for two weeks. It has been a wonderful experience.

One "small"  part of campus. Picture by Robert Burgess



  Sadly, I have had to leave Kansas City. KC has been my home for two years. Antioch Bible Baptist Church is by far the best church that I have been a part of. Those people really invested into me. They were some of the best friends that I have ever had. These past two years have been a whirlwind. Over this time  I got my heart broken by a charismatic, went to my first comic con, volunteered at the WWI museum, and ate some great BBQ.  Kansas City allowed me to develop as a librarian and attain great experience. I can now add Kansas City as a place that I can call home.

Church Christmas Party. From Left Neal Goodpasture,Cody Luckenbach, Jeff Hayes, and me. Picture by Matthew Luckenbach

My Goodbye Party. From Left Bill Robbins, Justin Taylor (Cardboard), Neal Goodpasture, me, Mickey, Matt Luckenbach, Cody Luckenbach, Stanley, Adam Lopez, and Jonathan Murphy. Picture by Alyson Luckenbach

Geneva, Neal, and my birthday celebration. From Left: Justin Taylor (Cardboard) and Me. Picture by Daniel West


My friend from the MBTS,John Inman, and me holding friendship cups. Picture by John Inman.

 When I left Alabama, I chose Where My Heart Will Take Me from Star Trek: Enterprise as my song to describe me leaving for Kansas City. For this move, I choose Into The West from The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King. This song was played after Frodo left Middle Earth to depart to the Gray Havens. Although, I intend on returning to KC several more times, my journey in KC has ended. Now I am in a place that will give me more chances to grow professionally and "get my name out there".  I thank God every day for giving me this wonderful opportunity. Please me in prayer for me as I seek to find a church in Ft. Worth that will minister to me and where I can serve to make an impact in the Lord's kingdom.



"Into The West"

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

[Chorus]
What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say: «We have come now to the end»
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

[Chorus]

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West

No comments:

Post a Comment