Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why I left Gotham...

   
    This past Spring, I was delighted to find out that FOX was coming out with a T.V. show about Batman. The show, Gotham, is about a young Jim Gordon who is a GCPD detective who investigates the murders of Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the show you get to see villains and heroes of DC universe before Bruce Wayne becomes Batman. The WB/CW did something similar a few years ago with Smallville, which was a show about Clark Kent before he became Superman. I really enjoy. the acting and overarching story of the show.

    Although, I was excited about the show at first, I became very convicted about watching the show. Over the years, I have tried to watch less violent movies and T.V. shows. I found the show was too violent. There was a lot of blood and death. There were a lot of sexual situations in the show that I was very uncomfortable with. At some point, I had to give up on the show. I did not want images that I was seeing to impact my spiritual life. As Christians we need to be careful about the kinds of books that we watch and books that we read so that they do not hurt our relationship with the Lord by causing us to sin.

   I am not saying that if you watch this show, that you are a bad person. However, I was personally convicted about the show. It was not a show that I felt that I could watch with my friends or family. I need constant prayer that the entertainment that I choose to indulge is clean and does not ultimately cause me to struggle.

"If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell." Matthew 5:29

"The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!" Matthew 6:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment